Pen-Y-Fan from Cribyn
Learn to fall in love with the mountain not just the summit

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Snowdon Marathon 2010

One of our local Police Sergeants, Richie Gardiner 37, has taken on one of the toughest physical challenges in Europe and won, setting a new course record in the process. Gardiner, who has represented Wales at various distance events over the years, beat 1,300 other entrants who came from 16 countries, to triumph on the course regarded by many as Europe’s most demanding marathon.

Setting off under bright skies, the runners were to face torrential rain, hailstorms and thunder as the race progressed. Gardiner eventually took control of the race and ran strongly through Rhyd Ddu and over Bwlch y Groes, before dropping down to Llanberis over two minutes ahead of Janes in second place.

Despite the conditions, a change of route meant a record-breaking time was on the cards and this proved to be the case with Gardiner completing the course in 2 hrs:36 mins:24 secs, the fastest for 15 years.

In a 2007 poll by Runners World Magazine, the Snowdonia Marathon was voted the best Marathon in the UK. This is somewhat ironic since it is also regarded as one of the most difficult!

Gardiner, who also claimed the UK Police marathon championship, said afterwards: "I am proud to win this race. As a Welshman it's a real honour to win this classic event. There are some great names on that trophy." He added "After the injuries and the disappointment and frustration of missing the Commonwealth Games, I had to set myself a different challenge to keep me focused. After 28 years of commitment to the sport and all the injuries, I needed to re-enthuse myself. I thought, what better way than to tackle Europe’s hardest marathon on home soil?"

Gardiner, who has been based in Merthyr for 14 years, added: "For the last seven years I have achieved many goals in my sport, including running for Great Britain and becoming Welsh Champion at all distance events. I thought it would be nice to show people in Wales what I can do on such a course."

The race, which is a challenge for the most experienced runners, follows a scenic route taking in Snowdonia’s major ascents and descents. Gardiner said: "I had a plan from the very start which I stuck to. This meant that I attacked on every piece of flat, ran strong up the mountains but took my time coming down as that is where the real damage is done to the legs. The plan paid off and apart from the poor conditions of hail in the latter miles, I felt relatively fresh finishing. I think that there is more there for me on that course."

From Llanberis, the 26-mile course winds through Pen y Pass, Nant Gwynant, Beddgelert and Waunfawr before finishing at Llanberis.

The demanding and spectacular route, encircling Snowdon, Wales’ and England’s highest peak, has given the event a unique place in the annual marathon calendar. The success has been credited to the beautiful scenery, the runners who organise the race and the hospitality of the local people.

No comments:

Post a Comment